Sunday, October 12, 2008

What’s in Our Back Yard

I have become very fond of Bladensburg Waterfront Park in Prince George's County Maryland by the DC/MD line. I think I recommended it to just about every one of my local friends and relatives. It has been a great open & natural space for a few festivals this year, but it is even more special to me on typical days when it is quiet. I'm always in awe of the ducks, geese, the occasional crane, the kayakers and canoers, the blue sky and its border-a colorful array of trees. The river is different each time, but it always sparkles and ripples and carries the ducks and geese. This time an algae-covered beachy area had appeared, and a multitude of ducks sat sunbathing and keeping company. They were quacking about something or other.

Normally the kids and I go only so far on the Anacostia Trail. Saturday, however, we went as far as we could and discovered a whole new park area. Pristine and beautiful--like something from one of those childhood books that depicted the new suburbs of the 1960s minus the houses and people. By that I mean we saw beautiful rolling hills, grassy expanses, open sky, and the roads we saw at first glance appeared to be footpaths until we noticed a stop sign. No one was around, and we played and wandered, marvelling at the trees with their fruit and bushes with their berries and pretty leaves. It was easy to image that I'd been carried off to the countryside.

Sunday afternoon we returned there with my older son, and we went even further. We climbed a hill leading to a ballfield, and we discovered not one but three ball fields and a great expanse of surrounding trees, open sky, no buildings--just nature. Hardly anyone was to be found. One small group of about 4 people were grilling. It was so quiet. On the way back we saw an older gentleman carrying golf clubs and a ball.

I hope the area remains unspoiled and that it will be a spectacular display of God's artistry to the next newcomer. Our only disappointment was that the seasonal pontoon boatrides are over. We'd hoped to catch the 5PM river tour, and I admit I wasn't confident enough to rent one of the available paddle or row boats.

No comments: